Your teeth are made up of many minerals, including phosphate, calcium, and fluoride, which are vital to keeping them strong and healthy. Your teeth lose and regain these minerals every day through the processes of demineralization and remineralization and the loss of too many minerals can weaken your teeth and make them prone to decay or breakage. As local Gainesville dentists, we at Premier Dental Team take pride in the healthy smiles of our patients and as such, recommend a periodic fluoride treatment process to strengthen the outer layer of enamel and guard against deterioration.
Fluoride is one of the minerals that occur naturally in much of the food that you eat as well as in most water supplies. It is also among the most significant factors in maintaining healthy teeth. Fluoride treatments are another way that you can improve your overall oral health. There are many things that can lead to the breakdown of tooth enamel and the Gainesville dentists at Premier Dental Team are always available to discuss your options regarding fluoride treatments. If you experience any of the following conditions, they should be brought to the attention of your dentist to evaluate the cause and determine your best course of action.
- Constant Dry Mouth – A dry mouth can be caused by a number of different factors. Certain medications or medical treatments, as well as xerostomia (reduced flow of saliva) may all be culprits of a dry mouth. This lack of saliva can increase the tooth’s exposure to acids and food particles and hasten decay. Fluoride treatments are one of the best ways to prevent breakdown from occurring.
- Frequent Cavities – If you are diligent in your daily oral hygiene, but still seem to develop cavities more frequent than you should, increasing your fluoride levels with one of the many treatment options can greatly reduce your tooth decay.
- Sensitive Gums – This condition can be one of the signs of gingivitis. This is a gum disease which causes the roots of the teeth to become exposed to not only bacteria, but other forms of tooth decay as well. When your gums are very sensitive, it can lead to less frequent brushing and the problem becomes even more severe. Regular fluoride treatments can help to strengthen the exposed area of the tooth and prevent further breakdown of the enamel.
There are many ways in which your fluoride intake can be increased to ensure that your teeth remain strong and healthy.
- Fluoride Rinses – There are a huge variety of mouthwashes, toothpastes, and rinses available at your local supermarket and nearly all of them contain fluoride, although they generally have a low level of concentration.
- Topical Fluoride Applications – Your local Gainesville dentists are able to obtain fluoride in a higher concentration than that found in toothpastes and rinses. It is generally in the form of a gel, varnish, or foam and can be either painted onto the teeth or applied with the use of a mouth guard.
- Prescription Fluoride – Fluoride is also available in a tablet or liquid form. This type of fluoride must be obtained through a dental prescription and isn’t available over the counter.
Keeping your teeth strong and healthy with regular fluoride applications is a simple and easy process. When you come to Premier Dental Team for your treatment, all that is required is that you refrain from eating or drinking for 30 minutes prior to your visit. Fluoride treatments are most effective when applied at 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month intervals and your dentist will evaluate your oral health before suggesting the right schedule for you. If you are ready for a healthier, stronger smile, call Premier Dental Team today to schedule your fluoride treatment.